Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How did it all begin

Writing on hold—for at least this week.


Something more important came up. MY KIDS!! Wednesday is the first day of school, and my son starts 6th grade, so we’re all excited. I remember those days. It seems like your whole life changes between 5th and 6th grade.

Which take me back to when I first starting writing. 7th grade I believe. I wrote an essay for the Martin Luther King “I Have a Dream.” My teacher really liked it and entered it into the contest. Didn’t win, but when the application asked what do you want to be when you grow up, I had never really thought about it, but I put writer.

I started writing my own short stories shortly after. I wanted it so bad too, to be a writer. I would let friends read it and thought I was really doing something. One of my very first stories was about a character name Lenore (Lee) Anderson. She was starting 8th grade and fell for the new kid. She later was discovered as a model. I really like her character, so I stayed with her, for years!! The next one was her starting high school.

By this time her modeling is taking off, and now she’s dabbling in acting. She becomes super famous by her senior year, marries her high school sweetheart, has kids, does the Hollywood thing, has an affair, and all that good stuff.

Okay, yeah, I had a crazy imagination. Blame Jackie Collins, I was reading her before I read any other literary great. About ten years ago or so, I revamped my “Lee” series, basically rewriting it again from memory (they were long lost somewhere). And to that I added a whole teen series of stories (think Sweet Valley High and the Sweet Valley High Twins). Lee had her own series, and then there were the others characters at the infamous Larkin High, school of the beautiful and talented kids.

Most wanted fame or already had it. Lee was the biggest star there (well, there is one other). But anyway, all this began with my childhood imagination. Yes, I am thinking of dabbling in the Young Adult area. The images of my middle school/high school years are vivid in my head. And now that my son is a “young adult” I can continue to live vicariously through him (only he doesn’t have to know).

School has changed a lot since my years in middle school, but some things will always remain the same. My writing makes me feel like a kid again!

No comments:

Post a Comment