Thursday, August 19, 2010

My skin's too thin

I have to get a tougher skin!  Like my soror Sheryl Lee Ralph stated "If you can't take the criticism, get out the business!"  Well, that's not exactly what she said, but that's what I got from it.  Writing professionally, I have to understand that EVERYONE will not get me.  They won't like my characters.  They won't like the story idea.  And they may not like my writing style.

This is okay.

I know I am not the greatest writer in the world (if so, I guess I would be published by now), but I know I am good at what I do, in my style, with my story lines.  I read the same styles in other books so I know it's a viable style.  My problem is I don't go into detail much.  Like if a character walks in a room, I don't describe every single thing she sees with all these cool literary words.  I just give a brief description and get to the story.

This comes from my training in screenwriting.  There's no description there, it's all action and dialogue.  Well, that's an excuse I see, so I just have to do a better job at detailing scenes.  I think that is my biggest writing weakness.

My other: maybe grammar.  I say maybe because I write like I talk, which could be good or bad.  I use wa-ay too many "likes" and a whole bunch of "very".  Ugh!  Okay, after 3 or 4 drafts I eliminated all but a hand full so that's good.  I'm learning!  I'm reading everything on how to self edit, and trust me, I still will find things wrong.  That's just me.

I would love for a professional editor to go through and red ink it up.  Heck, I love red inking other people's work.

Heck, let me stop blogging so I can get a workout in tonight.

1 comment:

  1. Most of the time when I respond to someone's posting on my blog, they don't get the message and I wanted to be sure that I thanked you for your kind words on my Revenge in Stilettos Post. I'm always up for new friends, especialy those with common interests.

    Now, on to your post. This is a tough business and thick skin is a necessity to salvage your own sanity! One thing I did want you to remember is that the fact that you're published or not published shouldn't be seen as an indication of how talented you are. I've read some terrible books and I've known some fabulous, unpublished authors. Just keep pushing and your future will work out just as it should!

    ReplyDelete