Monday, August 23, 2010

Rejection is at the heart of every writer

I am promising myself to finish all my editing of All That It Seems this week. I know I can do it! I’m about 50% into the editing now. No major edits really, just tweaking it, making it flow really well. Checking for grammar issues, or taking out many of the “said” and lots of the “like” I seem to (like) to use. Oh brother!

Changing a bit on the ending, detailing it out more. There is so much action in the last two chapters, I think I missed some detail and the reader would go, “Well, why did she do that?” So I better explain that by adding a scene or two.

THEN I will start sending it out! I have one local publisher here in mind first…but I’m not putting all my eggs in one basket!! There’s hope I may find an agent, so I have compiled a list and will start to send queries to them. I also have a few other small publishing houses I may try. I will NEVER give up sending it out this time. Okay, not never, but I am going to rack up at least 100 rejections before I go, “Hey, this must really suck!”

So counting the about ten rejections I had back in 2006 when I was trying to get it out there, I have about 90 more to go. Rejection is good! Who expects someone to pick up their novel after only one try? I’m sure the best of the best didn’t get that lucky. I have my little mantra in my head “If you can’t handle….get out of the business!” Oh yeah, I can handle rejection, I’m all ready for it and to prove them WRONG!

I wanted to finish off Sister Circle , and I still may do a little work on that, but in September I wanted to start a 30 day writing challenge on a NEW project. Am I crazy?? I have no clue what it will be about. I don’t know if I should detail a story line and etch out the characters or just write. I work both ways. At some point I will develop the characters more, but sometimes I never work out a story line, just go where the characters take me. That is how I wrote All That It Seems.

Sister Circle I have a timeline…and even with that I seem to be struggling moving along. So my best way is to just get it all out on paper. We shall see. I may do something in the Black Greek Life series. Stories like that with characters that just drive the story I can work with very easily.

This week’s task: Finish the last editing of All That it Seems

Next week: send out those queries!

No comments:

Post a Comment