Tuesday, September 14, 2010

My first new screenplay idea in a decade

I would love to blog about my great idea, but it's a secret.  Shhhh!  Well, least till I start getting it written.  Then I know I will want to share with all.  I can say that it is based off a movie (and sequel) already out there.  My hope is that I can write a script and send it in for consideration for the next sequel.  Yeah, I'm a big dreamer.

But why not!

Crazier things have happened to very successful people.  I will keep at my writing: novels, screenplays, short stories and even plays, till I reach the level of success I want.  Well, if that's a little vain, so be it.  I tell my kids never give up on what it is they want to be or do, not even if I am the one saying they can't be it. (My daughter wants to be the next Beyonce but she lacks a lot of that talent, singing, uh dancing, overall performance ability.  But I still tell her to go for it if that is what she REALLY wants.  Just don't embarrass me on American Idol.)

I have flip flopped between wanting to be an author of novels, to a screenwriter.  Heck, why can't I be both!  I was formerly trained in college to write screenplays, and only took one story writing class (but a boatload of screenwriting and playwriting classes).  I basically self-taught myself how to write a novel through books and researching online.  I wished I would have taken a class in college, but I got bored with the intro level story writing class and dropped that as my minor.

I won't start this screenplay till November.  I have to finish this current wip, then I plan on doing editing of ATIS and sending that out in October.  So busy, busy me!

3 comments:

  1. I'm pulling for you - I'm a total amateur who's interested in having something published some day. I have a draft of a manuscript (unedited, imperfect and un-presentable) but I always have dreams of it being picked up some day. I've also written a script (second draft right now) for a graphic novel I'd like to write one day.

    You sound just like me when I've got a cool idea for a story. I hope you stay focused. If you're interested in writing in November, that's fantastic - there's something called Nanowrimo - or National Novel Writers' Month - check out their website: http://www.nanowrimo.org/

    Sign up, it will totally help you stay on track - it's a support group and a motivator all in one. [maybe you've already heard of it?]

    best of luck. i'm excited for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I planned on doing NaNoWriMo, but now that I have a screenplay idea I want to write, don't know if that can work with the format of NaNoWriMo which is for novels. I checked on the site and did not see if screenplays were eligible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You just have to write 50,000 words - I don't think the format is too important. Also - I think there's a national novel writing month as well (it's in August or something?)

    In any case - they are great support groups to help keep you pushing forward. http://www.suite101.com/content/script-frenzy-a52463 this link may have more info.

    ReplyDelete