Thursday, November 25, 2010

Nanowrimo day 25: Yo, ya hear me, ma!

Part of the hip hop culture is the way that the people talk.  I don't use that much slang in "Six Sexy A$$ Sisters" but I do.  And when I do, it's just most words that I use when I'm around my peeps (people).

I started writing this blog early Thanksgiving morning, it is now midnight and there was just so much!  So, I will only break down a few items right now.  Maybe I will add more to this blog later.

Money is the most used word in the various slang forms.  Here are a few of words that may be used:
cream
cheese
cheddar (chedda)
Benjamins or benjys
duckets
ends
papers
bread
cake
dough
paper
scrilla
snaps
 
Friend, also used quite a bit and I don't think I captured them all, but here's a few:
homie
homeboy
home slice
home skillet
partner
bestie
BFF or BFFL
brother
brah
bro
cat
dog or dawg
peeps (short for people)

Diamonds/expensive jewelry are pretty easy in slang form:
bling
bling-bling
ice


To murder or kill:
ice
wax
whack 
187

Gun
heat
heater
gat
glock
nine


Cute or attractive person:
hottie
dime piece (or simply a dime)
totty
babe

Terms of affection:
ma
shorty (also shawty)
honey


Contraction like words:
I’ma is short for “I’m going to”
Innit is short for “isn’t it,” “Isn’t he/she,” ’”isn’t there”
Y’all means “you all”
A’ight means "all right"

Yo is short for “you," also used to address a person whose name is not known i.e., “Hey yo! What’s up?”


I also use the book "Urban Dictionary" by Aaron Peckham.  There's a lot more words in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment